How to search the Archives Index
- Enter a word, phrase or reference number in the Description box and optionally in the AND box.
- You may enter the words in upper or lower case. This will not affect your search.
- Check the Exact Match boxes to eliminate variants (eg. search just for school not schoolmaster).
- You can select a Place to narrow down your search to a single town or village.
- You can optionally enter 4 digit year dates to perform a date search.
- Press the Search button when you are ready to search.
- Press the Clear button before your next search.
Information available in the Archives Index
The Archives Index database contains the following information:
- Reference number: The unique reference number for the item or collection.
- Description: The brief description of the archive collection in the form 'Deeds of 25 High Street' or 'Records of St John's School, including log books and admission registers'
- Place: The place to which the description relates, usually a place in Surrey
- Dates: The covering dates of the archive collection being described
If your search does not find any relevant records, try another search, making your query less specific. If you still have no success, it may be that we do not hold any archive material of direct relevance to your enquiry. However, we may have material within our library that could help. Please contact us for advice.
If you have found some information that may be relevant for your research you will need to contact us to find out more, and to make an appointment to visit us.
Surrey History Centre
130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
Tel: 01483 518737